The Sixteen, Harry Christophers – A Meditation (2022)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:18:28 minutes | 1,38 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Coro
Once again The Sixteen and the Genesis Foundation have teamed up to bring premiere recordings of a fascinating selection of new choral commissions to audiences worldwide.
The five new choral works on this album – by James MacMillan, Will Todd, Anna Semple, Eoghan Desmond and Lisa Robertson – all grew from a meditation by St John Henry Newman. Canonised in October 2019, Newman’s writings represent a rich and thought-provoking legacy and, alongside the new works presented, are immortalized in three well-known hymns and Sir Edward Elgar’s exquisite elegy They are at rest.
Also included are two of Elgar’s psalm settings – Great is the Lord and Give unto the Lord. These are monumental works for choir and organ, full of grandeur and drama, but also inherently simple. The album ends with a bonus track by Bob Chilcott – also a Genesis Foundation commission – based on Psalm 139.
01. The Sixteen – I Shall be an Angel of Peace (10:01)
02. The Sixteen – Lead, Kindly Light (02:38)
03. The Sixteen – A Meditation (05:34)
04. The Sixteen – Praise to the Holiest in the Height (03:52)
05. The Sixteen – Great is the Lord, Op. 67 (10:19)
06. The Sixteen – …a link in a chain… (05:52)
07. The Sixteen – They are at Rest (Elegy) (03:52)
08. The Sixteen – Firmly I Believe and Truly (02:33)
09. The Sixteen – Give Unto the Lord, Op. 74 (08:29)
10. The Sixteen – Nothing in Vain (08:18)
11. The Sixteen – Nothing in Vain (11:10)
12. The Sixteen – O Lord, Thou Hast Searched me, and Known me (Bonus Track) (05:44)