Sebastian Bohren, Kammerphilharmonie Graubunden & Philippe Bach – Grischuns dal cor (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/44,1kHz | Time – 01:18:57 minutes | 719 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Claves Records
This 100% Graub”unden production presents the rich musical life of this region with Philippe Bach at the head of the Kammerphilharmonie Graub”unden, for a first collaboration with Claves.
Raffaele d’Alessandro was born in St. Gallen to a mother from the Grisons and an Italian father. He studied music in Zurich and, from 1934, in Paris, inter alia, under Nadia Boulanger. Although d’Alessandro melded various musical influences of the time in his works, he always remained connected to tonal harmony: what mattered to him as a composer was “to speak a personal language in which I, for the sake of clear comprehensibility, remain loyal to the traditional canon of form and to traditional tonality. Having said that, I have no hesitation to exceptionally forgo this rule if an inner necessity justifies it.” (Schweizerische Musikzeitung, 1944). Written in the summer of 1952, the four movements of d’Alessandro’s Symphony No. 2 are closely linked to his unfinished opera “Jurg Jenatsch” about the legendary seventeenth century national hero from the Grisons, and correspond to the preludes of the opera’s four acts. The dramatic intro that starts with powerful timpani and gong strokes adumbrates the first movement’s erstwhile purpose to serve as an operatic overture.
1. Philippe Bach – Symphonie No. 2 f”ur Orchester, Op. 72: I. Lento (Introduzione) – Allegro (Sonata) (07:14)
2. Philippe Bach – Symphonie No. 2 f”ur Orchester, Op. 72: II. Andante (05:51)
3. Philippe Bach – Symphonie No. 2 f”ur Orchester, Op. 72: III. Presto (Scherzo) (06:00)
4. Philippe Bach – Symphonie No. 2 f”ur Orchester, Op. 72: IV. Lento (Recitativo) – Allegro giusto (Rondo) (06:18)
5. Sebastian Bohren – Burletta f”ur Violine und Orchester, Op. 97 (12:27)
6. Philippe Bach – Tre poeme per orchestra Op. 173 (quasi sinfonia), 9. Sinfonie: I. Lento (08:09)
7. Philippe Bach – Tre poeme per orchestra Op. 173 (quasi sinfonia), 9. Sinfonie: II. Con moto (08:47)
8. Philippe Bach – Tre poeme per orchestra Op. 173 (quasi sinfonia), 9. Sinfonie: III. Espressivo (07:54)
9. Philippe Bach – La Partenza (16:17)