Sam Cooke – Sam Cooke At The Copa – Live (Remastered) (1964/2022)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/88,2 kHz | Time – 42:30 minutes | 871 MB | Genre: Soul
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Abkco Music & Records, Inc.
In 1964, when this concert at New York City’s legendary Copacabana night club was recorded, Sam Cooke was at the top of his game, having charted numerous times with his unique blend of pop and soul. The success doesn’t seem to have gone to his head, though: he sounds relaxed and conversational throughout this intimate performance.
Accompanied by a band that includes Bobby Womack on guitar, Cooke brings his R&B tendencies further to the fore than on his immaculately produced studio work. He moves deftly through his own hits, like ‘You Send Me’ and ‘Twistin’ The Night Away,’ but it’s on the folk songs ‘If I Had A Hammer’ and ‘Blowin’ In The Wind’ that he really stretches out, proving himself a gifted interpreter unbound by stylistic constrictions.
„Sam Cooke At The Copa“ is an essential part of the Cooke canon.
01. Sam Cooke – Opening Introduction (Live) (00:35)
02. Sam Cooke – The Best Things In Life Are Free (Live) (01:31)
03. Sam Cooke – Bill Bailey (Live) (02:50)
04. Sam Cooke – Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out (Live) (03:18)
05. Sam Cooke – Frankie And Johnny (Live) (03:00)
06. Sam Cooke – You Send Me (Live) (04:55)
07. Sam Cooke – If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song) (Live) (06:25)
08. Sam Cooke – When I Fall In Love (Live) (03:05)
09. Sam Cooke – Twistin’ The Night Away (Live) (05:04)
10. Sam Cooke – Band Introductions (Live) (01:27)
11. Sam Cooke – This Little Light Of Mine (Live) (03:36)
12. Sam Cooke – Blowin’ In The Wind (Live) (03:01)
13. Sam Cooke – Tennessee Waltz (Live) (03:37)