Ray Charles – What’d I Say (1959/2012)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/192 kHz | Time – 30:17 minutes | 641 MB | Genre: Soul
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Rhino Atlantic
“What’d I Say” is a song by American rhythm and blues artist Ray Charles, released by him as a single in 1959. The composition appeared as a result of the musician’s improvisation at one of the performances in 1958, when he and his orchestra needed to fill in the remaining time before the end of the concert. The enthusiastic reaction of the audience to the composition forced Charles to present the song to the producers, who recommended it for recording.
After a string of rhythm and blues hits, the release of this song allowed Charles to get into the mainstream of popular music. “What’d I Say”, combining elements of various genres with which the musician had experimented since the creation of the song “I Got a Woman” in 1954, also became the ancestor of a new subgenre of rhythm and blues, later called soul. The influence of gospel music and, at the same time, the explicit sexual overtones of the composition made it not only very popular, but caused controversy among white and African-American audiences.
“What’d I Say” became Charles’ first single to be certified gold in the United States and is one of the songs that had the greatest impact on rhythm and blues and the history of rock and roll. It was placed tenth on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “500 Greatest Songs of All Time”, and the Library of Congress added it to the US National Audio Recordings Registry in 2002. The song is also referred to as one of the “500 songs that rocked rock and roll”.
1. Ray Charles – What’d I Say, Pt. 1 & 2 (05:07)
2. Ray Charles – Jumpin’ in the Mornin’ (02:48)
3. Ray Charles – You Be My Baby (02:34)
4. Ray Charles – Tell Me How Do You Feel (02:42)
5. Ray Charles – What Kind of Man Are You (02:50)
6. Ray Charles – Rockhouse, Pt. 1 & 2 (03:56)
7. Ray Charles – Roll with My Baby (02:39)
8. Ray Charles – Tell All the World About You (02:03)
9. Ray Charles – My Bonnie (02:49)
10. Ray Charles – That’s Enough (02:45)