Quartetto Bernardini – Around Mozart. A Journey Through the Golden Age of the Oboe Quartet (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:07:22 minutes | 1,18 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Arcana
With its debut recording, the Bernardini Quartet takes us on a journey into the golden age of its formation, consisting of oboe, violin, viola and cello. The programme consists of a selection of exemplary pieces written between 1780 and 1818 by composers of different nationalities who are united by their diversity.
Alongside Alfredo and Cecilia Bernardini, father and daughter, respectively oboist/director and first violin of the Ensemble Zefiro, the members are the German violist Simone Jandl and the Dutch cellist Marcus van den Munckhof.
The programme begins with one of the earliest quartets for these forces, by Johann Christian Bach; continues with Mozart’s Quartet KV370/360b, a milestone of the genre, followed by a romance with variations by the French composer Charles Bochsa, a substantial four-movement quartet by the cellist Dotzauer and a delightful little quartet by Alessandro Rolla, violinist and conductor of La Scala, Milan; and ends with a meditative perpetual canon by the Bohemian Georg Druschetzky, based on a famous Lutheran chorale. In this recording, Alfredo Bernardini used five different period oboes.
1. Quartet in B-Flat Major, WB60: I. Allegro (07:52)
2. Quartet in B-Flat Major, WB60: II. Rondò (03:55)
3. Quartet in F Major, K. 370/368b: I. Allegro (06:31)
4. Quartet in F Major, K. 370/368b: II. Adagio (02:38)
5. Quartet in F Major, K. 370/368b: III. Rondeau Allegro (04:30)
6. Romance favorite “Les plus jolis mots” in F Major (08:01)
7. Quartet in F Major, Op. 37: I. Allegro (07:08)
8. Quartet in F Major, Op. 37: II. Andantino (04:40)
9. Quartet in F Major, Op. 37: III. Menuetto Allegro & Trio (03:50)
10. Quartet in F Major, Op. 37: IV. Rondo Allegro (06:26)
11. Piccolo quartetto in C Major, BI425: I. Romance (02:23)
12. Piccolo quartetto in C Major, BI425: II. Allegro (06:28)
13. Canone a quatro voci del Sig. Kirnberger in A Minor (03:00)