Oumou Sangaré – Acoustic (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 55:19 minutes | 612 MB | Genre: World
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © No Format!
The aptly named Acoustic shows us a stripped back side of the queen of Malian singing. Recorded in live takes over two intense days in the studio, she revisits her 2017 album Mogoya for the third time which, the following year, was remixed by the likes of St. Germain, François and The Atlas Mountain and even Spoek Mathombo. Nothing is electronic here. Only Guimba Kouyaté’s sensitive guitar, her faithful musical companion Brahima “Benogo” Diakité’s kamélé n’goni and Vincent Taurelle’s organ and celesta, someone who was involved in the original album, enveloping the diva’s unique voice and the voices of her backing singers Emma Lamadji and Kandy Guira. The effect is stunning – never has Oumou Sangaré’s vibrant presence felt so close.
Driven by this intimate atmosphere, Oumou insisted on adding two very personal tracks to the nine songs on Mogoya – two symbolic tracks from her magnificent career. Originally released in 1993, Saa Magni acts as a tribute to the late arranger Amadou Ba Guindo, one of her earliest supporters. And then there’s Diaraby Nene, without a doubt her most emblematic song. Written when she was a teenager, she opens up to the emotions surrounding her first love. Going against taboos in traditionally patriarchal society, she’s made a few enemies but has also won the unconditional support of the younger generations and has become a spokesperson for feminism, a fight she has not given up since. – Benjamin MiNiMuM
1. Oumou Sangaré – Kamelemba (Acoustic)
2. Oumou Sangaré – Fadjamou (Acoustic)
3. Oumou Sangaré – Diaraby Nene (Acoustic)
4. Oumou Sangaré – Minata Waraba (Acoustic)
5. Oumou Sangaré – Saa Magni (Acoustic)
6. Oumou Sangaré – Bena Bena (Acoustic)
7. Oumou Sangaré – Kounkoun (Acoustic)
8. Oumou Sangaré – Djoukourou (Acoustic)
9. Oumou Sangaré – Yere Faga (Acoustic)
10. Oumou Sangaré – Mali Niale (Acoustic)
11. Oumou Sangaré – Mogoya (Acoustic)