Olivier Laisney & Yantras – Monks of Nothingness (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/48 kHz | Time – 46:41 minutes | 529 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Onze Heures Onze
Yantras come from Hinduism. They are cards bearing geometrical symbols that capture dynamic forces and that are used as support to gradually stabilize a vision. Symbols and geometry often coexist in the systems used by music composers. It is no exception in trumpeter Olivier Laisney’s new quintet : each musician will pick material from a set of melodic and rhythmic items in order to create and communicate.
This material not only includes Olivier Messiaen’s modes of limited transposition and Taleas Color (used in the 14th century European polyphonic music – Ars Nova) but also sounds and grooves that can be heard in today’s hip hop or electronic music.
Having worked on Olivier Messiaen’s work for several years, composer and trumpeter Olivier Laisney has developed a rich and unique vocabulary around these modes: for they are symmetrical, they allow to step outside of the tonal system and therefore to experiment with new textures and new colours so cherished by Messiaen.
1. Spiral Down – Yantra (feat. Mike Ladd) (03:38)
2. L’Hermite – Yantra (04:47)
3. La Papesse – Yantra (05:11)
4. Sonnet – Yantra Intro (01:07)
5. Sonnet – Yantra (feat. Mike Ladd) (07:22)
6. L’Homme Vague – Yantra (05:39)
7. Secret Swordplay Instruction – Yantra (05:40)
8. Ithaqua le marcheur de vent – Yantra (05:46)
9. Le Pendu – Yantra (07:37)