Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – The Discipline of Assent (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 37:07 minutes | 406 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © El Paraiso
Martin Rude (Sun River) & Jakob Skøtt (Causa Sui) team up for a genre-defying record that was recorded during an exceptional session on March 3rd 2020. Martin brought his Double Bass, Acoustic & Baritone guitar into the studio of Causa Sui, where Jakob’s drums were already miked & prepped by soundwiz Jonas Munk, freshly tuned from the new Causa Sui recordings. The music they played ranges from sprawled out pre-fusion electric jazz to psychedelic folk ragas. After the sessions, the hours of free floating music was edited & dubbed by Jakob Skøtt into shorter cohesive segments, but maintaining the improvised vibe of these first takes.
It is a record that pays homage to the great innovators of jazz: Miles & Trane (or perhaps more fittingly their peak-drummers: Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette & Elvin Jones), as well as Mingus at his fiercest or Sun Ra at his most exotic. Not merely a tribute, the album doubles down with guitar pickings ala John Fahey & Sandy Bull, as well as sparse layers of oddly-tempered mallet percussion and synthesizers. But perhaps the closest reference isn’t something of a certain place in time, but rather a free flowing ethos of stoic proportions: letting happen what it may, turning the accidents and mistakes along the way into something vital.
1. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – Flails & Strands
2. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – A New Arrival
3. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – Aurelius Dye
4. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – Setenta y Tres
5. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – Sequoia Sketch
6. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – The Slip
7. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – The Short Sun
8. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – Random Treasures
9. Martin Rude & Jakob Skøtt Duo – Mountain Montage