Lisa Shklyaver & Jos van Immerseel – La clarinette française (2015)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:02:28 minutes | 1,01 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Booklet, Front Cover | © Zig-Zag Territoires
Musical love at first sight’, that is a good description of the meeting of Jos van Immerseel and Lisa Shklyaver. With her sweet tone and fine articulation, the young clarinetist effortlessly won the pianist over. No matter which repertoire they played, it clicked immediately.
The desire to come as close as possible to the sound aesthetic of composers at the time of the first performance of their works, along with the simple pleasure of the sound of period instruments, guide Jos van Immerseel in his approach.
For this recording, offering a panorama of French music for clarinet and piano from the early 20th century, Jos van Immerseel has chosen a Bechstein piano of 1870, and Lisa Schklyaver, a Dolnet Lefevre & Pigis clarinet from 1930.
The recording is doubly precious in that it proposes both the view of one of the finest performers of French music on a variety of remarkable works as well as, in a way, the sonority and poetry of an era.
2015 marks Jos van Immerseel’s 70th birthday, one of Belgium’s most acclaimed musicians. Later in 2015 Jos van Immerseel and Anima Eterna will record and release an album of Janacek and Dvorak.
“The highlight is Saint-Saëns’s sonata, one of the very late group that also includes sonatas for oboe and bassoon, a marvellous work. There is light relief in miniatures by Bloch and Pierné, and Lisa Shklyaver blossoms in Milhaud’s famous Scaramouche suite in an arrangement possibly not by the composer that Immerseel has partly rewritten – so it’s more authentic than the original!” (The Observer)
01. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in B-Flat Major, FP 184: I. Allegro tristamente
02. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in B-Flat Major, FP 184: II. Romanza
03. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in B-Flat Major, FP 184: III. Allegro con fuoco
04. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in E-Flat Major, Op. 167: I. Allegretto
05. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in E-Flat Major, Op. 167: II. Allegro animato
06. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in E-Flat Major, Op. 167: III. Lento
07. Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in E-Flat Major, Op. 167: IV. Molto allegro-Allegretto
08. Première rhapsodie, L. 116
10. Canzonetta in E-Flat Major, Op. 19
11. Scaramouche, Op. 165: I. Vif
12. Scaramouche, Op. 165: II. Modéré
13. Scaramouche, Op. 165: III. Brazileira
Bloch, André (1873-1960)
Debussy, Claude Achille (1862-1918)
Milhaud, Darius (1892-1974)
Pierné, Henri Constant Gabriel (1863-1937)
Poulenc, Francis (1899-1963)
Saint-Saëns, Charles Camille (1835-1921)
Jos Van Immerseel, piano
Lisa Shklyaver, clarinet