Josefine Cronholm – Near the Pond (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 37:29 minutes | 731 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Stunt Records
Carl August Sandburg (1878-1967) was an American poet, historian and folklorist – born in Illinois as the son of Swedish immigrants. In other words – a bridge-builder between the old, Swedish and the new, American tradition and culture. And in this context-a source of inspiration. Not only for the Swedish jazz singer Josefine Cronholm, but also for the American cornettist, Kirk Knuffke, who in this context was the one who brought Sandburg on the pitch.
Knuffke had been seized by Sandburg’s poems about, for example, industrialized America – poems that gave him the nickname ”The Bard of the American people” – after accidentally encountering the poems in a book he found in New York. Knuffke was so gripped by the poems that he wrote compositions for several of them.
In the meeting with Knuffke Cronholm also took an interest in Sandburg, so she also wrote some songs and compositions, inspired by Sandburg’s poetry and life story and prevailing theme.
And out of it – the meeting between the two musicians, their respective meetings with Sandburg and since the Association of bassist Thommy Andersson m.fl. for the project-the framework for what was to become the remarkable album, Near the Pond, arose.
01. Josefine Cronholm – Clara Mathilda’s Dream
02. Josefine Cronholm – I Don’t Know
03. Josefine Cronholm – White Shoulders
04. Josefine Cronholm – Dozen a Day
05. Josefine Cronholm – Subway
06. Josefine Cronholm – One Wish
07. Josefine Cronholm – I Sang
08. Josefine Cronholm – Wrong with You
09. Josefine Cronholm – One For All
10. Josefine Cronholm – Near the Pond