John Di Martino’s Romantic Jazz Trio – Chopin Jazz (2010) [Japan 2017]
SACD Rip | SACD ISO | DSD64 2.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 56:16 minutes | Front/Rear Covers | 2,26 GB
or DSD64 2.0 (from SACD-ISO to Tracks.dsf) > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | Full Scans included | 2,22 GB
or FLAC (carefully converted & encoded to tracks) 24bit/48 kHz | Front/Rear Covers | 698 MB
Multiple Grammy nominee John Di Martino – composer, arranger, pianist – has recorded many albums for Venus Records with his Romantic Jazz Trio. Noted for his versatility, John has performed and recorded with such notables as Kenny Burrell, James Moody, Joe Lovano, David “Fat Head” Newman, Pat Martino, Paquito D’Rivera and Houston Person. John has been described as a “shape-shifter”, for his creativity across musical genres. Here the trio devotes an entire album to jazzing up music by the classical composer Frederic Chopin.
Talented as he is as pianist, Di Martino is much more than a performer: He studied music theory and composition with Lennie Tristano and Don Sebesky. His arranging skills are in full display in this album, whose concept could be a tricky proposition for the less talented. Di Martino takes a lot of liberty while respecting the original melodies, and turns them into thrilling, majestic and gorgeous jazz performances. Celebrating the 200th anniversary of Frederic Chopin’s birth, several jazz musicians have released tribute albums, “jazzifying” Chopin’s beautiful melodies. (See Rossano Sportiello’s Chopin In Jazz, for example.) The present album is an entry by pianist John Di Martino and his Romantic Jazz trio. The participation of super-bassist George Mraz, in addition to the sensitive and lyrical drummer Richard De Rosa, has elevated this album to an even higher plane. Recommended to fans of passionate piano trio music.
01. Night Flower – Nocturne No. 15 in F minor, Op. 55/1
02. Cry Of The Rain Forest – Prelude No. 2 in A minor, Op. 28-2
03. Lover’s Temptation – Waltz No. 7 in C sharp minor, Op. 64/2
04. The Ballerina’s Dream – Premiere Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23
05. No One But You – Etude No. 6 in E flat minor, Op. 10/6
06. Two Hearts Dancing – Nocturne No. 1 in B flat minor, Op. 9/1
07. Ancient Air – Krakowiak Op. 14 in F major
08. A Woman In Love – Prelude No. 20 in C minor, Op. 28/20
09. Jasmine Lullaby – Mazurka No. 13 in A minor, Op. 17-4
10. African Sunrise – Nocturne No. 7 in C sharp minor, Op. 27/1
11. Azure Kiss – Prelude No. 4 in E minor, Op. 28/4
12. Cinnamon Tears – Funeral March in C minor, Op. 72/2
13. Drifting In A Mist – Waltz No. 3 in A minor, Op. 34/2
Produced, Mixed & Mastered by Tetsuo Hara. Engineered by Katherine Miller.
Recorded on September December 20 & 21, 2009 at Avatar Studio in New York.
Venus Hyper Magnum Sound Direct Mix. VENUS Japan # VHGD-260.
John Di Martino – piano
George Mraz – bass
Richard De Rosa – drums