Jason Moran – From the Dancehall to the Battlefield (2023)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:08:57 minutes | 1,33 GB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Jason Moran
They walked a very long way, saw you, and tagged you forever… then strode away, but kept you in their mind as they tagged someone else. See, That’s how a lot of this works.
They didn’t tell you where they were going,or what it would feel like,or sound like,or the stories you’d tell about all that you’d survive. And YES, you will survive…or be survived by.
In 1881, James Reese Europe is born in Mobile, Alabama, and in the pre-dawn of the Great Migration, his parents moved up to Washington, D.C. because they knew. It is in D.C that James begins to take violin lessons from Joseph Douglas, the grandson of Frederick Douglass because Douglass innately knew that liberation not only speaks from the mind, but also from instrument. The violin, hollowed wood, with a bow strung with horse hair abrading tense steel.
1. Jason Moran – From the Dancehall to the Battlefield (04:07)
2. Jason Moran – Ballin the Jack / Feed the Fire (05:52)
3. Jason Moran – All of No Man’s Land is Ours (02:30)
4. Jason Moran – Russian Rag (06:58)
5. Jason Moran – Darktown Strutter’s Ball (04:16)
6. Jason Moran – Flee as a Bird to your Mountain / Ghosts featuring Brian Settles (06:37)
7. Jason Moran – Drop (Tear) (03:07)
8. Jason Moran – That Moaning Trombone featuring Reginald Cyntje and Chris Bates (03:02)
9. Jason Moran – Memphis Blues (02:32)
10. Jason Moran – St. Louis Blues featuring Logan Richardson and David Adewumi (08:49)
11. Jason Moran – Hesitating Blues featuring David Adewumi (05:54)
12. Jason Moran – Clef Club March featuring Chris Bates (02:40)
13. Jason Moran – Castle House Rag (05:40)
14. Jason Moran – Zena’s Circle (00:53)
15. Jason Moran – For James (05:52)