Jacqueline du Pré – Elgar – Cello Concerto, Op. 85 & Sea Pictures, Op. 37 (1965/2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/192 kHz | Time – 53:50 minutes | 1,93 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Warner Classics
‘Miss du Pré allows herself to muse as Elgar’s music itself muses, but she never for a moment overdoes indulgence and each movement has its own strength and coherence. This is on no account to be missed.’ Gramophone Magazine
Jacqueline Mary du Pré OBE (26 January 1945 – 19 October 1987) was a British cellist, acknowledged as one of the greatest players of the instrument. She is particularly associated with Elgar’s Cello Concerto in E Minor; her interpretation of that work has been described as “definitive” and “legendary”. Her career was cut short by multiple sclerosis, which forced her to cease performing at the age of 28, and led to her premature death.
In 1965, at age 20, du Pré recorded the Elgar Concerto for EMI with the London Symphony Orchestra and Sir John Barbirolli, which brought her international recognition. This recording has become the benchmark reference for the work, and one which has never been out of print since its release. Du Pré also performed the Elgar with the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Antal Doráti for her United States début, at Carnegie Hall on 14 May 1965.
Du Pré performed with the most prestigious orchestras and conductors, including the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, London Symphony, London Philharmonic, New Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Philadelphia Orchestra, Israel Philharmonic, and the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. She regularly performed with conductors such as Barbirolli, Sargent, Sir Adrian Boult, Daniel Barenboim, Zubin Mehta, and Leonard Bernstein.
1. Jacqueline du Pré – Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: I. Adagio – Moderato
2. Jacqueline du Pré – Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: II. Lento – Allegro molto
3. Jacqueline du Pré – Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: III. Adagio
4. Jacqueline du Pré – Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: IV. Allegro – Moderato – Allegro ma non troppo
5. Sir John Barbirolli – Sea Pictures, Op. 37: No. 1, Slumber Song
6. Sir John Barbirolli – Sea Pictures, Op. 37: No. 2, In Haven
7. Sir John Barbirolli – Sea Pictures, Op. 37: No. 3, Sabbath Morning at Sea
8. Sir John Barbirolli – Sea Pictures, Op. 37: No. 4, Where Corals Lie
9. Sir John Barbirolli – Sea Pictures, Op. 37: No. 5, The Swimmer