Ieva Jokubaviciute – Northscapes (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/192kHz | Time – 54:44 minutes | 1,75 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Sono Luminus
The recording project Northscapes weaves works – from the first decades of the twenty-first century by composers from the Nordic and Baltic countries of Europe – into a tapestry of soundscapes, vibrating between landscape and the imagination, between the external and internal, between nature and psyche. What these works for piano solo share is a particular attunement to nature, reverberating out of the ever-present reservoir of pagan myths, legends, and folk music of the region. Their sensitivity to the sonic environment allows these composers to explore the liminal space dividing yet connecting landscape, soundscape, and mindscape.
More than mere musical “representations” of the striking natural landscapes of the North, each work, in its own way, attempts to transform the natural world into a sonic landscape, a mindscape, into imaginary geographies. More than simply pastoral nostalgia, these sonic meditations on nature reach beyond the physical to the spiritual, probing the limit dividing the objective and subjective. Whether it is vast cosmic space or the intimate, interiority of the expressive voice, these works harness the power of music to probe the emotional contours of the tension between world and mind.
01. Thoresen: Invocations, Op. 52 (Excerpts): No. 1, Invocation of Pristine Light
02. Thorvaldsdottir: Scape
03. Sorensen: 12 Nocturnes (Excerpts): No. 1, Mignon [Und die Sonne geht Unter]
04. Sorensen: 12 Nocturnes (Excerpts): No. 3, Nachtlicher Fluss
05. Sorensen: 12 Nocturnes (Excerpts): No. 7, Mitternacht mit Mignon
06. Saariaho: Prelude for Solo Piano
07. Serksnyte: Fantasia for Solo Piano
08. Vasks: Music for a Summer Evening
09. Thoresen: Invocations, Op. 52 (Excerpts): No. 2, Invocation of Rising Air