Helge Lien Trio – Revisited (2022)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 51:45 minutes | 542 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Ozella
Revisited is a hybrid of studio and concert recordings from the acclaimed Norwegian pianist/composer Helge Lien and his trio.
Miraculously, however, you can’t hear the hybrid nature of the source material. All tracks blend into a cohesive, 50-minute piece: There are no sounds from the audience and the studio takes feel as urgent as the live performances.
After the departure of Frode Berg (after ‘Guzuguzu’) and Per Oddvar Johansen (after ’10’), Helge Lien had to re-think and re-assemble his trio. All the while, he continued to record and (virtually) perform you could call it improvisation squared.
The courage has paid off: The new formation – Johannes Eick joining on bass alongside the returning Knut Aalefjaer on drums – arrived at interpretations which felt like a look back and a fresh departure all at once: This is not a revolution, it’s passion under the microscope.
“Lien has always been an accomplished pianist, but here he suggests he can be something more, a name that can be mentioned alongside the likes of Jan Johannsen, Bengt Hallberg, Bobo Stenson and Esbjorn Svensson in the pantheon of important Nordic pianists.” – Jazzwise
01. Helge Lien Trio – Hymne Revisited (06:37)
02. Helge Lien Trio – Liten Jazzballong Revisited (06:11)
03. Helge Lien Trio – Spiral Circle Revisited (06:36)
04. Helge Lien Trio – Gamut Warning Revisited (05:30)
05. Helge Lien Trio – Meles Meles Revisited (04:35)
06. Helge Lien Trio – Folkmost Revisited (04:20)
07. Helge Lien Trio – Jasmine Revisited (06:16)
08. Helge Lien Trio – Krystall Revisited (06:27)
09. Helge Lien Trio – Nipa Revisited (05:09)