Felicity Lott – Armin Jordan conducts Debussy, Roussel & Chausson (Live) (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/48 kHz | Time – 01:14:28 minutes | 788 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © audite Musikproduktion
The performances of the Swiss conductor Armin Jordan are characterised by a soft, supple and richly colourful orchestral sound, flexibility and warmth. He was a master of French repertoire as well as the music tradition of Central Europe, combining both traditions in his very own musical thumbprint. Released here for the first time are live recordings made in Lucerne with the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, which experienced a golden era under Jordan’s leadership between 1985 and 1997.
The prestigious Lucerne Festival, which has seen, and still today showcases, the very best conductors, soloists and orchestras on the planet, continues to publish its exceptional archives. This new offering displays the sumptuous return of Armin Jordan who led the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande between 1985 and 1997 and gave a second “golden age” to the Genovese ensemble after the fruitful years of Ansermet (1918-1967).
With his Germanic and Latin cultural heritage, Armin Jordan took pleasure in gracing works with a generous and tormented lyricism. His only two appearances at the podium of the ancient Kunsthaus at the festival of his birth town are brought together here with his superb recordings created in 1988 and 1994. Here we find his stunning sense of colour and unique mix of fluidity, transparence and vigour which he made his own.
After Prelude to the afternoon of a Faun with its hazy poeticism, we discover the Second Suite of Bacchus and Arriadne by Albert Roussel led by a beating drum with a touring OSR at the top of its game. The strength of this interpretation perfectly fills a gap as Jordan had never recorded this flamboyant work in studio. Such is not the case with Poème de l’amour et de la mer which was recorded in Monte-Carlo for Erato with Jessye Norman.
In this 1994 Lucerne concert, he directed his dear companion Felicity Lott. While the voice of this English cantata singer doesn’t have the amber-scented and sensual colour of her American colleague, she nevertheless possesses a timbre of perfect harmony with the style and colour of the Chausson conductor. Finally, one can admire Ansermet’s beautiful orchestration recorded in 1932 with Claude Debussy’s Six Épigraphes Antiques where he displayed the most intricate of details as much as Jordan perfectly translates its flourishes and subtleties. – François Hudry
01. Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune (Live)
02. Bacchus et Ariane, Op. 43 Suite No. 2 (Live)
03. Six epigraphes antiques (orch. by Ernest Ansermet) I. Pour invoquer Pan, dieu du vent d’ete (Live)
04. Six epigraphes antiques (orch. by Ernest Ansermet) II. Pour un tombeau sans nom (Live)
05. Six epigraphes antiques (orch. by Ernest Ansermet) III. Pour que la nuit soit propice (Live)
06. Six epigraphes antiques (orch. by Ernest Ansermet) IV. Pour la danseuse aux crotales (Live)
07. Six epigraphes antiques (orch. by Ernest Ansermet) V. Pour l’Egyptienne (Live)
08. Six epigraphes antiques (orch. by Ernest Ansermet) VI. Pour remercier la pluie au matin (Live)
09. Poeme de l’amour et de la mer I. La fleur des eaux (Live)
10. Poeme de l’amour et de la mer Interlude (Live)
11. Poeme de l’amour et de la mer II. La mort de l’amour (Live)