Dinah Washington – Dinah Washington Sings the Blues (1987/2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24bit/48kHz | Time – 32:05 minutes | 285 MB | Genre: Blues
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Music Manager
Born Ruth Lee Jones in 1924, Dinah Washington was a band singer with Lionel Hampton from 1943 to ’46. After this she went solo, signing with MERCURY records in 1948, remaining with that label until her death in 1963. It’s been said that Dinah’s hard-edged approach to love songs was due to seven failed marriages. True or not, it’s a certainty that Miss Washington had a unique highly-pitched, clipped delivery and handled blues, jazz, R&B and pop songs with equal skill.
The sixteen tracks on COMPACT JAZZ * DINAH WASHINGTON SINGS THE BLUES are MERCURY sides spanning the years 1954-’61. All are high fidelity, with some in two-channel sound. Transfer quality is excellent on all. Musicians on these sessions include: Charlie Shavers, Clark Terry, Urbie Green, Lucky Thompson, Milt Hinton and Wynton Kelly. Quincy Jones arranged and produced many of these great recordings. Session personnel and dates included. Highly recommended.
1. Dinah Washington – Blues for a Day
2. Dinah Washington – Rich Man’s Blues
3. Dinah Washington – All or Nothing
4. Dinah Washington – Beggin’ Mama Blues
5. Dinah Washington – Chewin’ Mama Blues
6. Dinah Washington – Pacific Coast Blues
7. Dinah Washington – Wise Woman Blues
8. Betty Roch’e – Blues on My Weary Mind
9. Betty Roch’e – Trouble, Trouble
10. Betty Roch’e – I’ll Get By
11. Betty Roch’e – Design for Jivin’