Bill O’Connell – A Change Is Gonna Come (2022)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/88,2 kHz | Time – 01:01:29 minutes | 1,14 GB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Savant
Savant Records has announced the January 28, 2022 release of A Change is Gonna Come, the powerful new release from esteemed pianist, composer, arranger and newly-minted GRAMMYⓇ nominee Bill O’Connell. This particular moment in history is a fraught one; A Change Is Gonna Come brings that point home with impassioned music reacting to the rampant racial and political injustice and pandemic-fueled turmoil of the present moment. A Change is Gonna Come features O’Connell alongside bassist Lincoln Goines, drummer Steve Jordan, percussionist Pedrito Martinez, and special guest Craig Handy tenor and soprano saxophone.
Lauded for his boundless, uncompromising prowess in the realm of Latin jazz, O’Connell’s fruitful musical journey began in 1977 when O’Connell began his tenure as the keyboardist for the legendary Mongo Santamaria’s Latin jazz band. A departure from the clavé-driven Latin jazz pocket that so often permeates O’Connell’s work, the pianist is heard here displaying his remarkable facility in the straight-ahead jazz idiom. The release of A Change is Gonna Come comes as O’Connell is fresh off the heels of his thrilling GRAMMYⓇ nomination for ‘Best Arrangement (Instrumental or A Capella)’ for the song “Chopsticks” on Richard Barratta’s album Music in Film: The Reel Deal.
01. Bill O’Connell – Moment’s Notice (08:08)
02. Bill O’Connell – Loco-Motive (06:06)
03. Bill O’Connell – Covid Blues (05:08)
04. Bill O’Connell – A Change Is Gonna Come (06:37)
05. Bill O’Connell – Sun for Sunny (04:21)
06. Bill O’Connell – Enough Is Enough (07:51)
07. Bill O’Connell – Sweet Peanut (06:13)
08. Bill O’Connell – A Prayer for Us (07:10)
09. Bill O’Connell – Chaos (05:11)
10. Bill O’Connell – My Foolish Heart (04:40)