Benjamin Hulett – Howells: Stabat Mater, Te Deum & Sine Nomine (2014)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:10:15 minutes | 1,17 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Bookelt, Front Cover | © Naxos
The three works on this recording mark staging posts in Herbert Howells’s compositional life. Sine nomine was commissioned at Elgar’s instigation when Howells was 30 and is predominantly orchestral, with wordless parts for the two vocal soloists. This arch-like ‘spiritual meditation’ was his first extended work for larger forces. Like the Hymnus paradisi (Naxos 8570352), the Stabat Mater is a direct musical reponse to the death of the composer’s nine year-old son, and further reveals his mastery of choral and orchestral polyphony. The Te Deum signalled a fresh and new approach to settings of Anglican canticles.
01. Stabat Mater: Stabat mater dolorosa
02. Stabat Mater: Cujus animam gementem
03. Stabat Mater: Quis est homo?
04. Stabat Mater: Eia, mater
05. Stabat Mater: Sancta mater
06. Stabat Mater: Fac ut portem
07. Stabat Mater: Christe, cum sit hunc exire
08. Te Deum (Version for Choir and Orchestra)
09. Sine Nomine, Op. 37, “A Phantasy”