George Antheil – Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5 – BBC Philharmonic, John Storgards (2017)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:05:45 minutes | 1,15 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download – Source: theCLASSICALshop | Booklet, Front Cover | © Chandos Records
Recorded: MediaCityUK, Salford; 21 November 2015 (Over the Plains, Symphony No. 5) and 30 April 2016 (Symphony No. 4)
Alongside its ongoing much-lauded Copland series, the BBC Philharmonic embarks on a new American journey, this time with its chief guest conductor, John Storgårds.
Known as the ‘bad boy of music’, George Antheil began his career with a reputation as an enfant terrible, composing shockingly avant-garde works such as his ever-popular Ballet mécanique, inspired by the dynamism and dissonances of Stravinsky’s early ballets. Although he is well-established on the film music scene, too, it is his symphonic output – sampled here – that today survives in the concert hall.
This new series documents the evolution of his musical style, which moved towards a fundamentally tonal and melody-based idiom, Antheil joining the growing ranks of famous US symphonists. The war-inspired Fourth Symphony and ‘joyous’ Fifth clearly represent this compositional shift, breaking with what the composer called the ‘now passé’ modernism.
Also here is the premiere recording of the Texas-inspired Over the Plains, memorable for its allusions to cowboy music and offering some unexpectedly dramatic and atmospheric twists along the way.
George Antheil (1900-1959)
1. Over the Plains (1945) 7:34
Symphony No.4 ‘1942’ (1942)
2. I Moderato – Poco più mosso – Poco meno – Più mosso – Allegretto – Poco più mosso – Poco meno marcato -10:53
3. II Allegro – Poco meno mosso – More mysterious, slower than before -9:28
4. III Scherzo. Allegro molto – Marcato – Poco meno mosso -5:20
5. IV Allegro non troppo – Più mosso – Meno mosso – Più mosso – Meno mosso -7:52
Symphony No.5 ‘Joyous’ (1947-48)
6. I Allegro – Molto marcato – Più mosso, poco più animato -9:06
7. II Adagio molto – Poco più mosso – A tempo I – Poco più mosso, molto cantabile e espressivo -7:55
8. III Finale. Allegretto (maestoso) – Allegro giocoso (più mosso) -6:52
John Storgårds, conductor