António Meneses & Maria João Pires – The Wigmore Hall Recital (2013)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:15:59 minutes | 1,28 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Booklet, Front Cover | © Deutsche Grammophon (DG)
Over four decades since securing worldwide recognition as one of the finest musicians of her generation, Maria João Pires continues to transfix audiences with the spotless integrity, eloquence and vitality of her art.
This recital, recorded live in the splendid Wigmore Hall acoustics, is clearly a red-letter event for chamber music connoisseurs. Pires is partnered by Antonio Meneses, cellist with the Beaux Arts Trio and artist of great wisdom and imagination.
Maria João Pires is one of the reigning pianists of our times, with numerous recordings spanning more than two decades on Deutsche Grammophon. One of the label’s flagship artists, she carefully handpicks her concert appearances and recordings projects, making this release a document of extraordinary value.
The album features a collection of some of the most intimately beautiful pieces, including the Songs without Words by Mendelssohn, the Intermezzi op. 117 and Cello Sonata op. 38 by Brahms, and the eternal “Arpeggione” Sonata by Schubert.
Pires’s abiding concern for poetic shading draws the listener towards the spiritual essence of the works she performs. An exceptional live encounter between two legendary musicians at the height of their powers, here documented for the first time.
01. Schubert: Sonata For Arpeggione And Piano In A Minor, D.821-1. Allegro moderato (Live)
02. Schubert: Sonata For Arpeggione And Piano In A Minor, D.821-2. Adagio (Live)
03. Schubert: Sonata For Arpeggione And Piano In A Minor, D.821-3. Allegretto (Live)
04. Brahms: Intermezzi, Op.117-No. 1 In E Flat Major-Andante moderato (Live)
05. Brahms: Intermezzi, Op.117-No. 2 In B Flat Minor-Andante non troppo e con molto espressione (Live)
06. Brahms: Intermezzi, Op.117-No. 3 In C Sharp Minor-Andante con moto (Live)
07. Mendelssohn: Song Without Words For Cello And Piano In D, Op.109, MWV Q 34 (Live)
08. Brahms: Sonata For Cello And Piano No.1 In E Minor, Op.38-1. Allegro non troppo (Live)
09. Brahms: Sonata For Cello And Piano No.1 In E Minor, Op.38-2. Allegretto quasi minuetto (Live)
10. Brahms: Sonata For Cello And Piano No.1 In E Minor, Op.38-3. Allegro-Più presto (Live)
11. J.S. Bach: Pastorale In F, BWV 590-Arr. For Cello And Piano (Live)
Maria João Pires, piano
Antonio Meneses, cello