Anthony Flint & Clélia Iruzun – Treasures from the New World, Vol. 2 (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:08:37 minutes | 1,24 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © SOMM Recordings
SOMM RECORDINGS is pleased to announce the return of pianist Clélia Iruzun and the label debut of violinist Anthony Flint with Treasures from the New World, Volume 2, a revelatory compendium of sonatas and duets by five Brazilian composers who defined the sound and soul of modern Latin American music.
A champion of music from her homeland on earlier recordings for SOMM, Rio de Janeiro-born Iruzun returns to Henrique Oswald (also Rio- born) with his four-movement Violin Sonata in E major of 1908. Lightly laced with late-Brahmsian accents, it’s a work of striking contrasts, a brief Intermezzo and extended slow interlude framed by an opening movement of vivacious lyricism and an energetic, optimistic, fiery finale.
Leopoldo Miguez’s Violin Sonata in A major (1885) boasts similar lyrical richness while balancing evocative, nocturnal beauty, brisk confidence and a bracing sense of instrumental ensemble.
Completing the disc are the melodious Poema (2002) by Marlos Nobre, one of Brazil’s most exciting contemporary composers, Souza Lima’s duet arrangement of Alexandre Levy’s Tango Brasileiro, and the haunting early miniature Romanza (1917) that prepared the ground for a later trio of substantial sonatas by Francisco Mignone, a mentor and close friend of Iruzun’s since her childhood.
1. Violin Sonata in E Major, Op. 36: I. Allegro moderato (08:25)
2. Violin Sonata in E Major, Op. 36: II. Allegretto molto moderato (03:31)
3. Violin Sonata in E Major, Op. 36: III. Andante molto espressivo (05:50)
4. Violin Sonata in E Major, Op. 36: IV. Allegro con fuoco (06:04)
5. Romanza for Violin & Piano (04:03)
6. Violin Sonata in A Major, Op. 14: I. Allegro (12:17)
7. Violin Sonata in A Major, Op. 14: II. Andante espressivo (06:40)
8. Violin Sonata in A Major, Op. 14: III. Scherzo. Presto non molto (07:13)
9. Violin Sonata in A Major, Op. 14: IV. Vivace (07:01)
10. Poema No. 1, Op. 94 No. 1 (04:00)
11. Tango Brasileiro (Arr. S. Lima for Violin & Piano) (03:29)