Anne Freeman – Keep It Close (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 39:06 minutes | 440 MB | Genre: Rock
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Muscle Beach Records
I have a busted and broken relationship with the concept of the singer-songwriter. You can trace it back to my history with Contemporary Christian Music (CCM). A genre focused on the substance of the lyrics at the expense of the musical quality. When a subculture encourages listeners to parse the nuances of someone’s words to discern whether or not that person is a good Christian, you don’t get art. You get religious treatises set to generic folk and pop melodies in hopes of selling records.
I spent nearly 15 years deeply immersed in that world, including six years working in a Christian bookstore. When I finally emerged from that cocoon, I stopped caring about the words in songs. Sure, I enjoyed a good voice, but I viewed it as a musical instrument on equal footing with the rest of the band. The lyrics had to be extra-special for me to care about them, and even then, I opted for the vibes and mood created by the music.
1. Anne Freeman – City Watched Me Burn
2. Anne Freeman – I Don’t Wanna Want You
3. Anne Freeman – Christopher
4. Anne Freeman – Generation’s Fast
5. Anne Freeman – When I’m a Wreck
6. Anne Freeman – I’ve Got a Knife
7. Anne Freeman – Loose Connection
8. Anne Freeman – Follow Me
9. Anne Freeman – Easy on Me
10. Anne Freeman – Waiting on a Sign