Alex Western-King – SideSlip (2021)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 41:50 minutes | 433 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Ubuntu Music
Revered jazz pianist Sam Leak is joined by the swingin’ combination of Jonny Wickham on bass and Jay Davis on the drums; all three musicians have impressive careers in their own right. As Alex explains it, “This album is a meeting point between my love of straight ahead bebop and the chaos and fragility of free jazz. For my debut album I feel very lucky to be working with musicians that are among the very best on the scene, and more importantly are people with whom I have a close personal connection. The chemistry that myself, Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham and Jay Davis have formed over our years of playing together allows us to constantly push creative boundaries within our improvisation.
I have always found music the best way to communicate in moments of emotional turmoil. This album is a snapshot of one year of my life, documenting my growth out of a dark place and into the light.
This album would not be what it is without the incredible creativity and musicianship of Sam Leak on Piano, Jonny Wickham on Bass, Jay Davis on Drums and James Copus on trumpet.
I would like to give special thanks Alex Garnett for his guidance, for being a great friend and for being an inspiration to so many on the London Jazz scene. A special thanks also goes to Jonny Wickham for lending me his ear in the tune writing and mixing process and to Georgina Williams for the album artwork.
1. Make Way (feat. Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (05:11)
2. Disorder Reordered (feat. Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (05:18)
3. Dark Space (feat. Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (05:41)
4. Inner Eye (feat. Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (06:57)
5. SideSlip (feat. James Copus, Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (08:07)
6. Toe The Line (feat. Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (05:11)
7. The Long Road (feat. Sam Leak, Jonny Wickham & Jay Davis) (05:25)