Alex Sipiagin – Mel´s Vision (2023)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:11:16 minutes | 1,53 GB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Criss Cross Jazz
Since he emigrated to the United States from Russia in 1991, Alex Sipiagin has earned an exalted international reputation as a no-technical-limits improvisor, sustaining a gorgeous sound throughout the trumpet’s registral range, navigating harmonic and rhythmic complexity with precision, passion, and abiding lyricism.
Most of Sipiagin’s previous albums showcase his contrapuntal, harmonically comprehensive compositions, full of interesting melodic twists and turns. On them, the projects the same voice that
For his new release, Mel’s Vision, the 55-year-old master – joined by A-listers tenor saxophonist Chris Potter, pianist David kikoski, bassist Matt Brewer and drummer Johnathan Blake – contributes two wonderful originals. But Alex addresses the session primarily as an opportunity to focus on interpreting music by others – a song by Potter, a Ukrainian folk song and four rarely covered gems from the jazz canon.
01. Alex Sipiagin – Mel’s Vision (09:25)
02. Alex Sipiagin – Summer’s End (08:54)
03. Alex Sipiagin – Four by Five (08:03)
04. Alex Sipiagin – Maritima (09:08)
05. Alex Sipiagin – Vesnianka (10:01)
06. Alex Sipiagin – Bird Food (Take 2) (06:21)
07. Alex Sipiagin – Balmoral Point (08:30)
08. Alex Sipiagin – Peggy’s Blue Skylight (03:50)
09. Alex Sipiagin – Bird Food (Take 1 – Alternate Take) (07:01)