Valery Gergiev, Kirov Orchestra (Mariinsky) – Shostakovich Symphony 5 & 9 (2004)
PS3 Rip | SACD ISO | DST64 2.0 & 5.1 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 73:36 minutes | Artwork (PDF) | 4,24 GB
or FLAC 2.0 Stereo (converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/88,2 kHz | Full Artwork (PDF) | 1,36 GB
Features 2.0 Stereo and 5.1 multichannel surround sound | Decca/Philips # 470 651-2 | Genre: Classical
The argument could be made that Valery Gergiev and his Kirov orchestra’s 2002 recording of Shostakovich’s Fifth and Ninth symphonies on Philips is the ne plus ultra of Shostakovich recordings. The sound of the recording is staggering: crisp, rich, and vivid. The playing of the orchestra is stunning: plush, powerful, and precise. The conducting is superb: strong, firm, and flexible.
The argument could also be made that this is far more a Gergiev/Kirov recording than a Shostakovich recording. Gergiev interprets like mad: pushing and pulling tempos, stopping, starting, then suddenly changing the tempo altogether. His louds are overwhelming, his quiets are almost inaudible, and the distance between the two is incommensurable. There are times in this recording when it sounds as if the music is going to explode from the incredible and inexorable intensity of Gergiev’s interpretations. While nothing like the recordings of Yevgeny Mravinsky with the Leningrad Philharmonic, the conductor and orchestra that gave the work its premiere, Gergiev with the Kirov’s recording is nothing if it’s not the ne plus ultra.
01. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.5: I Moderato
02. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.5: II Allegretto
03. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.5: III Largo
04. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.5: IV Allegro non troppo
05. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.9: I Allegro
06. Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.9: II Moderato
07. Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.9: III Presto
08. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.9: IV Largo
09. Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 – Symphony No.9: V Allegretto – Allegro
Executive producer: Clive Bennett. Recording producer: Andrew Cornall.
Balance engineer: Philip Siney. Recording engineers: Vladimir Ryabenko & Sergei Parfenov.
Recording facilities by the Mariinsky Theatre on behalf of Emil Berliner Studios (No.9); the Mariinsky Theatre & Martti Talvela Hall (No.5).
Editing facilities by Emil Berliner Studios. Recording editor: Ingmar Haas.
Mixed at Decca Studio, Chiswick & mastered at Classic Sound Limited. Mixing engineer: Philip Siney.
Recording locations: Mariinsky Theatre. St Petersburg, Russia, 14-18 May 2002 (No.9);
Mikaeli-Martti Talvela Hall, Mikkeli, Finland, 30 June 2002 (No.5)
Production co-ordinator: Alice Fields. SACD surround mix: Philip Siney.