St. Vincent & Nina Kraviz – Nina Kraviz Presents MASSEDUCTION Rewired (2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1kHz | Time – 01:54:17 minutes | 1,3 GB | Genre:Alternative, Indie
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Loma Vista Recordings
Employing her acclaimed curatorial skills to an immense tracklist, Nina Kraviz invites a diverse roster of artists – luminaries in their respective genres – for an eclectic remix package of St. Vincent’s Grammy award winning album MASSEDUCTION. From frantic IDM and manic footwork to glistening house and meditative dubstep (via just about everything in between) her selections build an inspired portfolio from an abundance of talent.
Genre-bending interpretations feature strongly throughout. Jlin’s mutated footwork subverts ‘Smoking Section’ from melancholic balladry to a jittery exuberant march, whilst Mala’s take, although similarly sinister, submerges Annie Clark’s vocals in a drowsy pool of synthetic bass and fragmented percussion. Nina Kraviz’s own ‘Gabber Me Gently remix’ of ‘Fast Slow Disco’ sweeps the radiant texture of the original from underneath, replacing it with a hypnotic run of high-speed kick drums, whilst her remix of ‘New York’ is part minimal techno, part ghostly ASMR, but quintessentially hers.
Further disorientation comes from a number of трип affiliates; PTU offer two remixes – a woozy minimal take on ‘Pills’ and a relentless spin of ‘Fear The Future’ – whilst Roma Zuckerman and Buttechno provide direct-to-dancefloor cuts of ‘Young Lover’ and ‘Saviour’ respectively. Elsewhere, Laurel Halo makes a spiralling techno animation of the former, as UK evergreens Pearson Sound and Batu offer curiously stripped back takes on ‘Dancing With A Ghost’ and ‘Hang On Me’.
Much like the tapestry of moods on MASSEDUCTION, the remixes mould varying sentiments into a sea of different atmospheres. Bjarki and Population One (aka Terrence Dixon) each work up carefully restrained tension on ‘Pills’ – a stark contrast to Hieroglyphic Being and Emika’s maximal, glowing takes on ‘Sugarboy’. Warmer still are Midland’s powerful, low-slung take on the title track, Fred P’s breakbeat reshape of ‘Happy Birthday Jonny’, a heartfelt disco repurposing of ‘Fast Slow Disco’ from Steffi and two joyful, melodic cuts from EOD.
Released as a full digitial package, vinyl album and 3 EPs, Nina Kraviz Presents MASSEDUCTION Rewired is a comprehensive document of the electronic subversion of the mainstream, offering an inspired dissemination of ideas from the rich source material. At times fragmented, at others familiar, it takes the spirit of MASSEDUCTION and runs with it in every way possible.
1. Hang On Me (Batu Remix) (5:42)
2. Pills (Bjarki Remix) (6:30)
3. Pills (Population One Remix) (6:31)
4. Pills (PTU Remix) (4:12)
5. Masseduction (Midland’s Mass Seduction Remix) (7:28)
6. Sugarboy (Emika Allegiance Mix) (5:19)
7. Sugarboy (ChicagoPhonic Sound System Remix) (7:33)
8. Los Ageless (EOD Remix) (3:31)
9. Happy Birthday, Johnny (Fred P Remix) (4:29)
10. Savior (Buttechno Remix) (4:34)
11. New York (Nina Kraviz Vocal Mix) (5:14)
12. New York (Nina Kraviz x Lucy Dubbed Out Mix) (5:23)
13. New York (Nina Kraviz Dirty Master Mix) (5:14)
14. Fear The Future (PTU Remix) (3:07)
15. Young Lover (Laurel Halo Remix) (6:05)
16. Young Lover (Roma Zuckerman Remix) (5:45)
17. Dancing With A Ghost (Pearson Sound Remix) (5:48)
18. Slow Disco (EOD Remix) (2:57)
19. Slow Disco (Nina Kraviz Gabber Me Gently Remix) (5:18)
20. Smoking Section (Jlin Remix) (3:28)
21. Smoking Section (Mala Remix) (4:06)
22. Fast Slow Disco (Steffi Remix) (6:15)