MDR Leipzig Radio Symphony Orchestra & Kristjan Järvi – Steve Reich: Duet (2016)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/48 kHz | Time – 01:32:12 minutes | 956 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Booklet, Front Cover | © Sony Classical
A new double album, honouring the 80th Birthday of the minimal music pioneer. Includes 2 world premiere recordings. Steve Reich, one of the most influential composers of our time and key founder of the minimalist school of music, is celebrating his 80th birthday on 3 October 2016.
The album is not only a celebration of his birthday but also a result of a 3-year-project that started with Reich’s residency as ‘composer in residence’ at the MDR Radio Symphony Orchestra. The ochestra-chors versions of ‘Daniel’ and ‘You Are Variations’ are therefore world premiere recordings.
‘Duet’ was dedicated to and written for Sir Yehudi Menuhin for his 80th birthday.
‘Clapping Music’ is performed on this album by Steve Reich himself and Kristjan Järvi.
The first part of the album includes Live performances at the Gewandhaus in Leipzig and the second part includes studio recordings.
Kristjan Järvi has been the principal conductor of the MDR Radio Symphony Orchestra since the 2012 season. He is a unique musical personality pushing the classical music borders with new ideas, his charisma and extraordinary technical prowess. Hailed by The New York Times as ‘a kinetic force on the podium, like Leonard Bernstein reborn.’
Järvi combines his classical music origins and his love for traditional repertoire with a powerful passion for original concert programs, that catapults concert halls and audiences around the world into the 21st century.
Järvi has more than 30 albums to his credit and has received various awards, including the Swedish Grammy for Best Opera Performance, the German Record Critics Prize for Best Album and is a Grammy nominee.
Steve Reich (b.1936)
01. Duet for two Solo Violins and String Orchestra (Dedicated to and written for Yehudi Menuhin)
02. Clapping Music
03. The Four Sections: The Four Sections: I. Strings
04. The Four Sections: II. Percussion
05. The Four Sections: The Four Sections: III. Winds and Brass (with Strings)
06. The Four Sections: The Four Sections: IV. Full Orchestra
01. Daniel Variations: I. I Saw a Dream
02. Daniel Variations: II. My Name is Daniel Pearl
03. Daniel Variations: III. Let the Dream Fall Back on the Dreaded
04. Daniel Variations: Daniel Variations: IV. I Sure Hope Gabriel Likes My Music, When the Day Is Done
05. You Are Variations: I. You Are Wherever Your Thoughts Are
06. You Are Variations: You Are Variations: II. Shiviti Hashem l’negdi
07. You Are Variations: You Are Variations: III. Explanations Come to an End Somewhere
08. You Are Variations: You Are Variations: IV. Ehmor m’aht, v’ahsay harbay
MDR Leipzig Radio Symphony Orchestra
Kristjan Jarvi, conductor