Duo Dorado – A Bohemian in London (2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/96 kHz | Time – 01:17:56 minutes | 1,44 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Chandos
Gottfried Finger was a Moravian composer and virtuoso viol player. Born in Olomouc, in the modern-day Czech Republic, and arriving in England in 1685, Finger worked for the court of James II before becoming a freelance composer.
Hazel Brooks has spent a great deal of time researching the music for this recording, all of which may be found in the British Library manuscript Add. 31466, the single biggest source of violin sonatas by Finger.
She writes: ‘Finger’s sonatas contain a quirky mix of styles. Bohemian features from his homeland, simpler Corellian traits, and the occasional nod to the English Purcellian school are fitted together like crazy paving. This is what gives them their unique charm. Many are made up of contrasting short sections rather than separate movements, sometimes linked by short passages for basso continuo alone, both features characteristic of the Biber school.
Finger left a large number of sonatas for violin and basso continuo. We performed them all, immersing ourselves in the style, and this recording presents the finest selection from his output. Because he is known principally for his copious published recorder pieces, aimed at the amateur market, Finger has sometimes been dismissed as a composer of trivial, unadventurous music. I hope that this recording will help to change that mindset, so that Finger finally receives the recognition he deserves.’
“…Brooks’ eighteenth-century violin, rigged in baroque style, with a copy of a bow from 1686, seems just right for the music. David Pollock provides skilful partnership. Switching between a double-manual harpsichord and continuo organ adds a degree of variety to the sound picture… The recording is clear and bright, with little of the resonance that one might expect from the acoustic of the church where the recording was made …an attractive opportunity to get to know this neglected composer.” (Brian Wilson, MusicWeb-International.com)
1. Violin Sonata No. 53 in E Major, RI 132 06:16
2. Violin Sonata No. 7 in A Major, RI 119 07:00
3. Violin Sonata No. 9 in D Major, RI 129 06:05
4. Violin Sonata No. 45 in B-Flat Major, RI 125 08:02
5. Violin Sonata No. 46 in B-Flat Major, RI 124 05:06
6. Violin Sonata No. 47 in F Major, RI 136 05:42
7. Violin Sonata No. 23 in A Major, RI 120 05:37
8. Violin Sonata No. 14 in B Minor, RI 122a 06:36
9. Violin Sonata No. 6 in A Major, RI 118 05:51
10. Violin Sonata No. 54 in F Major, RI 137 07:51
11. Violin Sonata No. 15 in D Major, RI 113 03:08
12. Violin Sonata No. 51 in E Major, RI 134 03:38
13. Violin Sonata No. 52 in E Major, RI 135 06:36
Hazel Brooks, violin
David Pollock, harpsichord, organ