Dmitry Sinkovsky & La Voce Strumentale – Bach in Black (2017)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 01:01:22 minutes | 614 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download – Source: Q0buz | Booklet, Front Cover | © naïve classique
Dmitri Sinkovsky appears in this Bach album wearing three hats: as a violinist, (so far, so normal) but also as a counter-tenor. As he starts to perform as a counter-tenor as well as an instrumentalist, the overall impression at first is that this is nothing more than a charming curiosity or a typically “baroque” extravagance, especially when he moves from violin to vocals in the same piece. But as his talent as a singer unfurls – and it is some talent – he proves himself more than capable of winning over the most demanding audiences. His desire to play the two roles simultaneously speaks to one of the key concepts of the baroque era: the idea that one should treat an instrument like a singer’s voice, and, conversely, that the human voice should be treated like an instrument. Sinkovsky sings without any of these rather precious affectations, in a sharp style, with fiendishly precise vocal attacks, no easy-option glissando or poor taste: in short, an example that many star counter-tenors would do well to follow. As for his skills as a violinist, for some time he has left his audiences in little doubt. Note that for the heart-rending aria “Erbarme dich” from the Passion According to St Matthew, he sings the alto part, and also plays: the two lines, each as important to the whole as the other, intertwine to form an immense ribbon from start to finish: a little nod to modernity, as the whole thing is achieved by means of overdubbing in the studio!
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
01. Violin Concerto in D Minor, BWV 1052R: I. Allegro
02. Violin Concerto in D Minor, BWV 1052R: II. Adagio
03. Violin Concerto in D Minor, BWV 1052R: III. Allegro
04. Matthäuspassion, BWV 244: No. 47, Erbarme Dich
05. Violin Concerto in G Minor, BWV 1056R: I.
06. Violin Concerto in G Minor, BWV 1056R: II. Largo
07. Violin Concerto in G Minor, BWV 1056R: III. Presto
08. Johannespassion, BWV 245: No. 30, Es ist vollbracht! (Aria)
09. Violin Concerto in A Minor, BWV 1041: I.
10. Violin Concerto in A Minor, BWV 1041: II. Andante
11. Violin Concerto in A Minor, BWV 1041: III. Allegro assai
12. Mass in B Minor, BWV 232: No. 26, Agnus Dei. Largo
Dmitry Sinkovsky, violin & voice
La Voce Strumentale