Christian Thielemann & Münchner Philharmoniker – Mahler: Wunderhorn Lieder & Symphony No. 10 (2018)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/44,1 kHz | Time – 59:00 minutes | 563 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Booklet, Front Cover | © Warner Classics
Gustav Mahler and the Munich Philharmonic share a very special connection. As a composer he sustainably linked the 19th-century Austro-German tradition and the modernism of the early 20th century. His works have been a substantial part of the Munich Philharmonic’s core repertoire ever since and the orchestra has excelled on many occasions.
The Munich Philharmonic is opening up its vast archives, giving listeners the opportunity to enjoy one of the richest collections of recordings by legendary artists. On the centenary of Gustav Mahler’s death, Christian Thielemann conducted a concert programme with Mahler’s songs to poems from “Des Knaben Wunderhorn” by Friedrich Rückert sung by the renowned Michael Volle, as well as the Adagio from Mahler’s unfinished Symphony No. 10. The live recording of this exact concert performance has been exclusively lifted from our orchestra’s historical archives and will be released on the MPHIL label for the very first time this spring.
The adagio finds Thielemann at his expansive best, getting playing of the highest quality from his then orchestra and sustaining a Parsifal-like breadth and intensity over the entire 25-minute span of the movement…this is a highly collectible Mahler performance from one of today’s most compelling German conductors. – Sunday Times
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)
01. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: I. Der Schildwache Nachtlied
02. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: IV. Wer hat dies Liedlein erdacht?
03. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: VII. Rheinlegendchen
04. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: IX. Wo die schönen Trompeten blasen
05. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: VIII. Lied des Verfolgten im Turm
06. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: V. Das irdische Leben
07. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: XII. Der Tamboursg’sell
08. Des Knaben Wunderhorn: XI. Urlicht
09. Symphony No. 10: I. Adagio
Michael Volle, baritone
Christian Thielemann, conductor